Friday, February 27, 2009

Flashback Friday

Well hello there! I had good intentions of doing Flashback Friday this morning and it didn't happen obviously. I've had a neck from heck :) lately so not motivated other than in thought. LOL.

I'd thought I'd share a funny fishing story on Theron. He and I were living in Price, Utah and Benjamin was 10 months old. I was about 7 months pregnant with Michael and we decided to go spend a few hours at the lake and go fishing. We'd never gone together before and Theron was excited to show off his skills. I took along the play saucer thing to put Benjamin in on the ground next to me so I was hands free to test out my own fishing pole. Theron was showing me how to throw out the line while holding the reel just so and next thing you know his hook gets caught on his shirt and his fishing pole goes flying into the lake. It was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. I was in stitches from laughing and he was carefully trying to pull the pole out by the fishing line. He caught quite the fish on that little trip. LOL!

For some reason I can't think of a story to tell on me....(smile). OK, I'll tell a story from the mission that cracked me up. I was serving in Middletown, California and my companion was from Peru. She learned English in her MTC and was doing pretty good at it, but had never been behind the wheel of a car before. There were a lot of roads to nowhere in mountains near there and we'd start up a road and have to back down or do a 30 point turn to get turned back around. Oh and a little more on the companion was that she was very....I can't think of the word. Prissy comes to mind, but she wasn't that at all. She just didn't like to get dirty and was appalled at the thought of physical labor, etc. Anyway, we went up this muddy narrow road in the mountains and come to a chain across the road. One side of this road is a steep hill going up the mountain and the other side is a nice drop off going down...ugh. Anyway, I am attempting to cut it as close to the up side of the road in my 30 point turn...lol...and I get stuck in mud. I start spinning out and ask if my companion will go and push a little so I can get unstuck. She goes out and gave it her best effort with her fingertips. It was ridiculous. After a huge drawn out sigh, I traded places with her and spent ten minutes going over what the brake was and the gas pedal, etc. So I go around to the front and try pushing and she floors the pedal and mud goes all over me as she spins in place. She stops and I go around to the side and open the passenger door and push on the door frame. I had to tell her to lightly push this time around. So I give it a good push, she gives it a good push (sadly) and the car goes flying backwards and in that brief moment of time I totally pictured the car going over the edge and the open door behind me pulling me down with it. It was insane. I yelled for her to hit the brake and she slammed on it just at the right moment then got out shaking and hyperventilating. We exchanged places in silence then halfway down the mountain I couldn't hold it in any longer and started laughing hysterically till there were tears in my eyes. I figure laughing and crying are excellent releases and I've always chosen laughter...for whatever reason. She thought I'd lost my mind and wanted to cry then she finally started laughing as well as we played it back. She never asked for driving lessons again though. hahahaha!

Have a great weekend!!!

0 shout outs from the peaunt gallery: