Monday, December 7, 2009

Allergic reaction =(

I think I jinxed myself on this one. It wasn't too long ago that I actually had the thought go through my mind "how can you be allergic to nuts of any kind?" lol =) It didn't make sense to me since I hadn't heard much about it until the past 5 or 6 years.
This morning my dad got a package of Cashews for his birthday/Christmas from my uncle and he shared with us and you know kids, Jacob had to have a fist full as he wandered around the house. So I went up to tackle my mountain of laundry waiting to be folded then heard a croupy cough out of the blue that made me think he was choking. I came downstairs and he was barking like a seal when he breathed in and wheezing. Scared the crap out of me.
Then the internal debate started on whether I'm overreacting or if I really ought to take him in. I had myself talked into just going down and buying some Benedryl for him then last minute I thought...you know what? He has insurance, the worst they can do is send us back home so I went down to Midway. While he cried during the chest x-ray he sounded terrible. Every breath in was a bark. Poor guy.
Anyway, it wasn't much of a reaction while sitting in the ER and the doc said he'd just treat him as if it were a nut allergy and I left him home with my dad while running to the Pharmacy to pick up the 2 day steriod and antihistamine oh and some eye drops for one eye that was really red for some reason. When I got back home I took one look at Jacob and panicked slightly. He'd swollen up quite a bit more. His right eyelid was swollen, the rash had spread and his ears were bright red and swollen with little bumps all over them. Very weird. Never dealt with this stuff before. Anyway after the first failed attempt to give him his medicine (he couldn't swallow very well so he spit the first try out) he seems to be doing better. He's woozy...lol...most likely from the benedryl, but the hives are getting better slowly.
Now that I think about it, I think this was his first time eating cashews. He's had almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pecans and NEVER reacted like this. I wonder what makes one nut different from another. Cashews are the best too! hahahaha =) Anyway, I'm super grateful I got him in and he's got the medicine working on him. Seems like the itching has mellowed as well. Phew!!! =)



1 shout outs from the peaunt gallery:

Suzanne said...

HOW SCARY!!! I'm so glad he's okay. The first time has to be the worst, when you don't expect it! Poor kid....he probably was pretty scared too!